Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, August 16, 2009

A Single Step

Confucius said "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Today, I took the first step. I've just booked my flights to LA - leaving on September 6th and returning on December 2nd. It took me a week to work up the courage to do that. I had an excuse every time an opportune moment came along; "I'll wait for my next payday at the shop. I'll wait for Tony's next payday. I'll wait til Tony is more settled in his job. I'll wait til my sister gets back from her vacation. I'll wait til I talk to my friends."

It's funny, I never had trouble before. Usually I'm the type who can calmly book a vacation three days in advance and just tell everyone I'm going with the flow. Usually, once I decide on a course of action, I go after what I want and do what has to be done without dawdling about.

So why the hesitation?

The journey isn't just about three months vacation in Los Angeles. I'll be leaving my family, which is more difficult than before because my mom and my sister have become my best friends in the last year. I'll be leaving my city, heading into unfamiliar territory where I don't even know how to buy a bus ticket without consulting Yahoo Answers. I'll be living with a boy. (*cry*) I'll be living on my own - we'll have to figure out how to balance household accounts, and budget, and catch roaches, and cook sausages without setting the grill on fire. (Long story) I'll be proving once and for all, to everyone who has raised a skeptical brow or smiled indulgently at my naive inexperience in life, that myself and Tony are built to last longer than most people figured we would.

Ultimately, these three months will determine the rest of my life. Scary thought.

But the first step has been taken, and that's always the hardest one. Momentum is what will carry me the rest of the way.

And hey, it only cost 520 euro. =p

5 comments:

  1. Hope you're not pissed I found this blog (adwoff).
    21 was always your lucky number. It'll work.
    :)
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. not at all, I'm linking it on FB too so the world can enjoy. =D My mom wants to keep track while I'm away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That journey of a thousand miles is all about one step at a time. Enjoy each step of the way. Some steps will be so exciting that you skip your feet. Some steps are so dreadful you drag your feet. But you will never know what's at the end of the thousand mile journey without each individual step. And you know what's at the end of the thousand mile journey? Yep. Another thousand miles :-) You'll still have your mom and sister. Think of the Irish that came over a hundred years ago and never saw their family again. The world has become very small with transportation and technology. There's so much more I would love to say, but I think I'll take it to an email.

    Love - Debra

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you get the happnes that you deserve and that it all works out for you if you need a friend to talk to I am here
    gale

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd be nervous, too, in your situation. It's not a 3-month vacation. Three months is not a vacation, 3 months is a season. A season in which the "we only get to see each other 4 times a year" glow will inevitably wear off and you'll be 2 real people living together.

    Personally, my gut tells me that it's going to go well for you, both of you. And I'm really looking forward to reading about it.

    ReplyDelete