Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, August 14, 2009

Opening Titles

How do you begin a blog?

I should probably start with explanations. Answer the obvious questions, and that sort of thing. For instance, who am I?

I'm Emma, I'm 22 and I live in Ireland. I have a degree in archaeology, 4 siblings, 2 cats, a tattoo I keep forgetting about, and an unconventional relationship.

Unconventional?

Yep. I'm engaged to Tony - who is also 22, has no cats or tattoos (but he does have sisters), and works as an EMT. He also live in Los Angeles, California.

How does that work?

With a lot of effort.

How did we meet?

A mutual friend introduced us online, and we became friends. We both vacationed in NYC two - almost three - years ago, and spend a few days hanging out. We fell in love, as people do, and thus began the Long Distance Relationship.

So why the blog?

This year, three notable events occurred. I lost my job. Tony graduated and landed a fulltime job working as an EMT. I was offered a new, better job - that doesn't start until January 2010. With too much time on my hands, enough savings in the bank, and this idea of "proving them wrong" we decided that I'd move to Los Angeles this fall, for three months.

People ask me all the time; "What's it like? How does long distance work? Do you think you'll last? Will you manage to live together? Can you stick it in LA, away from your family and your home?"

And, of course, my personal favourite: "Can a relationship between two people who only see each other 4 times a year really last?"

I guess this blog exists to answer those questions.

The experiment begins.

8 comments:

  1. Good for you two for going for it! I've already subscribed to this blog via bloglines, and I'll be cheering you on from up north of LA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet freaking deal! I've missed seeing you blog.

    This will be an interesting trip. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your exciting move! If you ever need anything, I'm local to Los Angeles (The Valley, actually).

    I, too, did the long distance thing until I got engaged, then moved back to L.A. We DID eventually break up, but that was because he was a jackass. LOLOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Connie, I'll be desperately stalking you, trying to figure out how to work this thing. I don't know what a blogline is. LOL.

    Dani! Thanks for the good luck wishes. I wanna read lots of wedding blogs too. *nudge*nudge* =p

    Lynda - omg a friend in LA!! I'm very excited by this prospect, hehehe. You'll see me camped outside your door every morning like a lost pup, looking for someone to show me where the local grocery store is. =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to see you blogging again! And I saw on ADWOFF about being so far away from your mommy. Girl, you have about a thousand mommies this side of the pond, so just let us know what you need :-)

    Of course when I always wanted you to move here, it wasn't to the other side of the freaking country!! Not that there aren't good people there - yay that Lynda is close! But for me? Well hell, you might as well still be in England LOL

    I think this is a great idea for you and YOUR Tony to live together for a while. My dd and her future dh lived together for about 6 months, and just celebrated their 10th wedding anniversary.

    MY Tony and I will have to make a point of coming to see you - Mohamed and the mountain thing, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb, you definitely have to come visit! And I'll eventually get to that side of the country, don't worry. Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Watch out for that Lynda; she'll get you knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drat! Connie has revealed my evil plan! Curses! Foiled again!

    ReplyDelete