I had to register on USCIS if I want to be kept up to date on what's happening, and I was pretty surprised at how fancy and modern it all is. For people who issue pretty ridiculous orders when you apply for visas, they're really on the ball about getting the tech right. I can currently 'log in' to the USCIS dept and check on my individual forms, and each time someone looks at them or processes information on them, it pops up on the screen as "touched on XX/XX/2010". Not only that, but I have email updates, so that I'll be sent notifications each time, in case I forget to log in. And if I really want to, I can have them send the touched notifications straight to my cell phone. I didn't choose that option because, for no real reason, I have a deep and abiding mistrust of cellphones and all who use them. I'm convinced USCIS will start spam-texting me or something. "Apply for a B visa today and get a three month travel waiver free!" Haha. Well, okay, I should be so lucky. But you know... phones are evil and everything. The more you use them, the more people feel they can call you and converse whenever they please. Hmph!
Er, moving on... I baked scones today. Chocolate chip scones. They're not like any I've ever baked before, sadly, but that's probably because I used an online recipe instead of getting my mom's off her. I will do that tomorrow. Also, it occurred to me today that many of the things I bake over here - cookies, cakes, buns, etc - don't really turn out the same at all. I wonder, is it because the ingredients are slightly different to the ones back home? I know flour is flour, but is it really?? Maybe there are differences in Irish flour and American flour. I don't know. The measurements are different too, obviously, but I usually rely on US recipes now so I don't have to go through the hassle of conversions. I will with my mom's recipe! Ah, well. The scones weren't awful or anything, so I'm sure they'll be eaten. :D
My friend is back from Mexico today. This pleases me greatly. She has been gone a month, and I really missed seeing her and the kids. Her husband and his mom were still here, but between one thing and another we didn't really get around to seeing them that much in the last couple of weeks so I miss them too. It will be good to get back into it next week, and not be sitting about at home when Tony's at work.
My mom is all worried because one of the cats back home has vanished. He's been gone 24 hours, which is very unlike him. We're not used to cats, so when they wander off we all freak out. I think this time, I'm more calm because I'm so far away, so her panicking isn't making me panic because I don't have to hear it. :p I think that he will be okay, people keep telling me cats are assholes and wander off without any notice all the time. I'll start worrying if he's not back by tomorrow evening. I read somewhere that animals are affected by human tragedy, and our lovely elderly neighbour died in his home yesterday. So maybe Gary just got a bit freaked out and ran off to hide for a while. I guess we'll see tomorrow. I hope he comes back soon.


WOOO WOOO WOOOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
ReplyDeleteYay for receipts!!! I never thought I'd say that, but yay!!! Also if you'd like I can send you a conversion of g to cup measurements for a few different things if you'd like! :) (flour sugar etc)
M