Anyway! Other than that, all is going very well. Our apartment is lovely, I'll try and insert some pictures at the end of this blog. The area is nice too, very quiet, but close enough to the Glendale Fashion District for me to walk there. Which I did a couple of days ago, when Tony was working. It was very amusing trying to navigate the roads. In Ireland, we don't have intersections like the US, and it became rapidly apparent to me that there is a Road Dance I have never learned. I would reach an intersection, all the traffic would come grinding to a halt, I would rock back and forth on my heels a moment, craning my neck to see the non-existent lights and wondering when the cars would move again. Eventually it occurred to me that they might be waiting for ME to make a move, so I tested that by stepping out onto the road. And here I am, still alive...
Food shopping also mystifies me. It's very difficult to find... well, normal things. Or else they're very expensive. Regular staples like olive oil and brown bread cost me the sun and moon, because they were sitting next to these weird cheaper options that looked like cartoon food from The Simpsons. I also walked down an aisle comprised primarily of potato-like substances in microwave bags. Yet I failed to find real potatoes. Veeeeeeeery odd. And there are no colour catchers here for the washing machine! I can't wash my clothes without colour catcher sheets, the colours run too much! What shall I do?! (Well, not that it matters, considering I have no clothes anyway)
Here are a few apartment pics. The second one is a picture of where our tv unit should be. =p


We've got color catcher sheets. If you absolutely can't find them anywhere (is there a Target around?), I could mail you a couple of boxes.
ReplyDeleteYeah, it messed me up when we moved to California. It's the law there that cars have to stop for pedestrians in cross walks. Not true where I grew up and I almost ran over a policeman once because of it.
Wheeeee, thanks Mistfox! There is indeed a Target at the Galleria, I believe, so I'll head there today and look for my precious Color Catchers. I was having a tough day the day we went shopping and literally ended up weeping in the aisles because I couldn't find anything I'm used to, lol.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you made it alright! Damn airlines I hate having luggage that they handle instead of me, if I can get it all in a carry on I do, but for a 3 month trip that isn't really an option.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know that in CA you had to stop for pedestrians no matter what in the cross walks. hmm.
Sorry the trip to the store was so bad :( I couldn't imagine the confusion and displacement that would present not being able to find anything "normal". :( I hope shopping and life gets better!
It will get better, and the next time you go looking for potatoes, they're usually in the produce area near-ish to the onions.
ReplyDeleteAnd for food that's good for you at more reasonable prices, check if there's a Trader Joe's near you (they're all over California). You might have better luck with normal, affordable food there.