Well, I got the teeth pulled. All four wisdom teeth at once. EEK! Actually, it wasn't as terrible as I'd feared. The worst part was dithering back and forth, trying to find the right dentist and seeking advice and having all kinds of different opinions coming at me. It's always good to have other opinions, but by the time the day came I was so worked up and frazzled I just wanted it over with.
But I couldn't be happier with how it went. I decided to stick with my original dentist, who is a little on the pricey side, but he did give us a 50% discount just because he could. He is also a very calm, friendly sort of guy. Definitely the sweetest dentist I've ever been to! And his staff are all lovely as well. They fed me two Valium before the procedure, so I was half-comatose before the needle even came out. Then they inserted an IV full of delicious sedatives so that one second I was asking if it was okay to curl up and go to sleep on the chair, and the next second I was opening my eyes and gazing out at a view I didn't recognize, mumbling, "Pretty trees. So pretty. Not my trees, no. Where did the trees come from? Oh... the dentist! Dentist trees!"
The very patient nurse then dealt with my ramblings for the next ten minutes as I came around, peppering her with questions about the heart monitor ("what's that line for? And that one? Why is that one wiggly? Is that the right heart rate? Why is that one blue?") Eventually, she was saved by the arrival of the dentist, whom I had an overwhelming urge to hug, and that urge was fulfilled as I was helped into a wheelchair to be taken to the car.
I pretty much slept the rest of the day away very peacefully, except for one dream where I thought I was chowing down on a delicious hamburger but actually I was just trying to swallow the gauze in my mouth. I'm not sleeping great at night, because I need to be propped up instead of lying flat, but I've been fitting in a couple of naps during the day so I'm all good. I even managed to attend my friend's little girl's birthday party yesterday.
And I've discovered that chocolate pudding is an excellent breakfast, lunch, and dinner when your only other option is boring old soup. =p Mmmmm, pudding.
Get your teeth pulled! But get 'em pulled by my dentist; he'll charge you a mint, but it's totally worth it. And that's not just the Vicodin talking.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Glad it went well Emma. It usually does, just don't talk to my Tony about it who has never had any type of surgery go well. My darling Charu was so amusing when she had her wisdom teeth out that I hung out with her just for the chuckles. It was in the spring and she would make random comments like "Whoa....check out the red roses in that tree!" and then cry because she got blood in her Frosty and then back to singing a nursery rhyme song. Tres amusing. I, of course, woke up and swore like a sailor. At a time I didn't swear. I found out years later that I cannot take benzos and those were used in surgery back then. So now you know about Charu, me, and some of Tony. I won't bother you with his issues, bless his heart.
ReplyDeleteHave you thought anymore about writing? If so, shoot me an email (mine is the same as always, and also on my FB sight). Would love to talk to you.
Holy shit I'm sorry I wasn't around to laugh at you. :D meant in the nicest way possible of course. The whole time I was reading this all I could think of was Liz Lemon. hehehe
ReplyDeleteGlad it's all done and you're well lovely.
:)
M