Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, July 5, 2010

First 4th

That looks more confusing than it is... What I mean is that I spent my first ever July 4th here in the US. =D I missed out on Paddy's Day celebrations here so I was determined to get at least one country's birthday in this year. I was desperate to see fireworks, but the Rose Bowl is expensive (15 fricking dollars!!) so in the end, Tony and his sisters found a fireworks show on in Eagle Rock Park that was free. 

Myself, Tony and two of his sisters trotted off in the evening after dinner with the in-laws, armed with a couple of sodas, Kit-Kats and a picnic blanket. When we got there, we found stalls selling food and cotton candy and churros and all sorts, so we stocked up on crap and found a spot on the grass to settle down. There was a Beach Boys tribute band playing in a tent, and although they weren't the most talented (it was free, after all) they helped to set the mood. 

I was surprised to find that I was one of a very few people who actually managed to scrape together red, white and blue clothes to wear. Though one woman appeared to be dressed in a giant bear costume of some kind, with an American flag. Very strange.

And when the fireworks started, they were pretty darn good! I love fireworks, so I was happy. The only drawback was that, apparently, the vibrations from fireworks shows stir up bee and wasp nests, so there were bees swarming all around us. Eek!! Next year, I'll bring bug repellent. =p

Happy birthday, America. From Ireland to you. 









1 comment:

  1. YAY! Glad you got to see some fireworks. And for $15, the Rose Bowl is TOTALLY worth it.

    ReplyDelete